The Martin County Consensus Platform
We support compliance with the repeatedly stated desire of the great majority of Martin County residents to require controlled, responsible, non-sprawl growth, while retaining the character and quality of life in Martin County for all of its citizens.
ISSUE AND POSITION SUMMARIES
- Support our Comprehensive Plan Policies, which
protect existing community character, residential neighborhoods,
taxpayers, and our environment. Revisit recent Comp Plan changes that have undermined these
- Protect the environment ~ continuing to protect
uplands and wetlands, and continue to implement their connectivity. Support CERP, IRL plan, WRDA, SOR and
Florida Forever programs.
- Support a realistic analysis of water demands,
and the impact on utility costs, current residents, and on the
- Support controlled and compatible development
that pays for itself and does not further burden the taxpayers. All direct and indirect costs to
taxpayers caused by development, including new school stations, shall be
clearly defined. Current density should
be maintained unless proof of compelling need is widely recognized.
- Support infrastructure concurrency prior to
development approval. All
concurrency requirements, including level of service for schools, roads
and utilities, shall be specified and not degraded.
- Maintain current 20-acre development rules and Urban
Services Boundary, not allowing clustering or industrial/business parks in
- Oppose spot zoning. Maintain appropriate building height
restrictions at or below the countywide four-story limitation. All development shall be compatible with
nearby homes and surrounding neighborhoods.
- Return Martin County Airport to its role as an independent community-friendly
general aviation airport, with runways maintained at pre-1998 lengths.
- Support practical approaches to increasing the
availability of affordable housing using "HUD Affordable Housing Homeownership criteria".
- Major changes to the Comp Plan shall require a
Commission super majority and public referendum.
- Oppose wasteful and unnecessary government
expenditure, including unnecessary consultant contracts.
- Support public participation committees within
the Growth Management process that mediate development issues in
neighborhoods to avoid conflict and court action. NAC board membership should include
members from the surrounding community outside the CRA.
- Encourage County support and the purchase by all
citizens of products and services from Martin County businesses, including small businesses.
- Support private Anti-SLAPP suit state legislation
to protect free speech.
- Favor candidates who do not accept campaign
contributions from out-of-county developer interests. Support the political candidates who best
support our platform.
BACK TO TOP